Friday, August 29, 2008

Oppression of Women

menschtx wrote:

"With so much value being put upon the Mormon man that the women need to submit to the man and his teaching, leadership and as we see explotation of the women, and now even children. Some being pregnate at the age of 13, as reported in the Star-Telegram on 4/19/2008 -A girl as young as 13 may have given birth at a polygamous sect's compound, a child welfare worker testified Thursday night at a marathon custody hearing for 416 children removed from the ranch. The idiology of Mormon teaching which these people are believing is the basis of the Mormon doctrine as aspoused by the prophet Joseph Smith in the order of producing more bodies for the spiritual children exisiting on the planet Kolob. Hey every body has to have some where to go."




Rhino's response:


Nobody else has chimed in so I thought it would be helpful to shed some light on the references that you have made to Mormon doctrine concerning women.


You quoted Doctrine & Covenants 25:14,15 - 14 and implied that our doctrine is oppressive to women. I submit that the Mormon doctrine is anything but oppressive to women. There are polygamists (who are not members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) whose behaviour is very oppressive to women, but these are not members of the LDS church, and cannot be members of the LDS church because they are practicing polygamy.


To say that the scriptures in Doctrine & Covenants is oppressive toward women would imply that the writings of Paul the Apostle to the Ephesians is also oppressive toward women:


22 aWives, bsubmit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
23 For the ahusband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the bhead of the cchurch: and he is the saviour of the body.
24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
25 aHusbands, blove your cwives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
26 That he might asanctify and bcleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

The truth is that neither the D&C nor the Bible is oppressive toward women. What is oppressive toward women is the perverted men who take 13 year old girls as spiritual wives by cumpulsory means and against the will of God.

The prophet Jacob in the Book of Mormon wrote (Jacob 2:23-32)

"23 But the word of God burdens me because of your grosser crimes. For behold, thus saith the Lord: This people begin to wax in iniquity; they understand not the scriptures, for they seek to excuse themselves in committing awhoredoms, because of the things which were written concerning David, and Solomon his son.
24 Behold, David and aSolomon truly had many bwives and concubines, which thing was cabominable before me, saith the Lord.
25 Wherefore, thus saith the Lord, I have led this people forth out of the land of Jerusalem, by the power of mine arm, that I might raise up unto me a arighteous branch from the fruit of the loins of Joseph.
26 Wherefore, I the Lord God will not suffer that this people shall do like unto them of old.
27 Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any aman among you have save it be bone cwife; and concubines he shall have none;
28 For I, the Lord God, delight in the achastity of women. And bwhoredoms are an abomination before me; thus saith the Lord of Hosts.
29 Wherefore, this people shall keep my commandments, saith the Lord of Hosts, or acursed be the land for their sakes.
30 For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up aseed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things.
31 For behold, I, the Lord, have seen the sorrow, and heard the mourning of the daughters of my people in the land of Jerusalem, yea, and in all the lands of my people, because of the wickedness and aabominations of their bhusbands.
32 And I will not suffer, saith the Lord of Hosts, that the cries of the fair daughters of this people, which I have led out of the land of Jerusalem, shall come up unto me against the men of my people, saith the Lord of Hosts.
33 For they shall not lead away captive the daughters of my people because of their tenderness, save I shall visit them with a sore curse, even unto destruction; for they shall not commit awhoredoms, like unto them of old, saith the Lord of Hosts.
34 And now behold, my brethren, ye know that these commandments were given to our afather, Lehi; wherefore, ye have known them before; and ye have come unto great condemnation; for ye have done these things which ye ought not to have done."

God condemns the actions of the polygamists at YFZ ranch in Texas just as he condemned it during the times of Jacob in the Book of Mormon and King David and King Soloman."

If you would like to learn more details about the LDS doctrine concerning polygamy see my post on Polygamy or go to http://www.lds.org/.

No comments: